Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Job

As you see i changed the color layout on the blog, it was time for something fresh. I will be posting about Christmas next. I still have to get those pics on the computer. New wedding post up on other blog as well.

So i had my last day at old job Jan 4th. She got me a cake but i was a tad disappointed & a bit hurt that i never even got a card (everyone else who quit got a card with a gift card inside). Heck we did not get anything for Christmas so after 13 months that is the least they could have done to show a bit of appreciation. I ate a piece of cake by myself & just walked out the door, it was busy & meg took off to check something in a room without even saying bye. Needless to say i felt a little bit depressed after that. I thought i meant something but i guess not, which is why i have not stopped in even though i go right past there every day. When i go to get my last check tomorrow they will act all happy to see me, which is messed up if they couldn't even say bye.

Anyways i only had 2 days off before starting the new job. I had been nervous all week because i had not heard from Tanya since she sent me the email saying i had the job. I don't think she got it, when i sent one the Thursday before i started she got that & replied so i am sure she didn't get it. That reply i did not get until Sunday as emails from that account were not going to my phone & i did not know it (i have 3 active emails that i use for different things). It helped me relax a bit once i saw i had an email from her.

I was a lot nervous Monday morning, scared that i would screw up. I was not shy when i got there though like i usually am so that's a good thing. I felt like i belonged right off the hop. I caught on fast, 10 days in i am doing pretty good but still a tad unsure. I ask a lot of questions, most of the time the info is right in front of me but scared to screw up. I got a key already though!!! I had to go in Sunday as i got sent home Friday due to a blizzard we had & the guys needed their ppw to cross the border.

So far a big part of my job is to clear the paperwork at the borders for both southbound & northbound shipments. I also text & phone the guys every day to see where they are at. We get a lot of calls from the brokers checking on their freight before it is even scheduled to be delivered. That part is annoying. I had one checking on it 3 days in advance. WTF is up with that? relax lol.

I also got a bit more responsibility this week because even though it can be quite busy i get things done so i have some "down time" most days. So now i am learning the next part of the job which is fuel mileage (both in gallons & litres) & also km & miles in each state & province. The guys have to write down exactly how many miles they drove in each state because they all have different fuel tax amounts. They also have to write which states they fuel up in. You guys all need the same set of rules all over that we have up here. Other than pst most laws are the same right across Canada, least this way you know what you can & can not do in each province lol.

I have to work Saturday mornings though :(. i get Wednesday afternoon off. I am hoping i don't work every single Saturday because i would like to sleep in a bit on the weekends plus feel like i have days off. Unfortunately that is the way it works in a business that goes 24/7 though.

I am liking it though. I am insecure & i hate it. I always feel like people are talking about me when they are not. There has been some drama, 1 shop guy got fired & 1 trucker got suspended for a week. Of course they need to talk about that kinda stuff behind closed doors. It is really none of my business but yet i always think people are talking  bad about me. That stems from my family talking smack & not owning it. They have always talked behind my back the minute i leave the room so i can't seem to shake it. They are telling me i am doing great so i should feel secure but i don't. I know they have no desire to get rid of me. This doesn't go away over time either, i always have that feeling at any job. I am so afraid of messing up & getting in trouble.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh I HATE new jobs. I'm always scared and nervous and unsure. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon and then you'll look back and laugh at yourself.

    ReplyDelete