Sunday, June 23, 2013

Independence Day!

So first things first, i had a post up last weekend but reverted to draft on Monday. I got laid off, not "fired", due to restructuring the office. Stupid bull crap, i got mad at him a bit and said how i felt a little but not as much as i wanted because i was a bit in shock. I told him he was rude for making me work saturday and come in monday when he could have told me on friday the payday and i would have held onto my paycheck. he was like well there is no easy way to do this and we will pay you two more weeks. Ya ok that is fine but i would have been more wise and still had more than i do now.

Whatever, i wasn't at all happy there and only liked the money. I should be able to get EI for now and look for something more suitable.

Now, we were supposed to leave for our anniversary trip on thursday. That will not be happening. Luckily i was able to cancel our rooms. I was quite sad and cried but mother nature had other ideas. Take a look at these pics.

this is downtown, yup that is a lot of water

shot from a high rise

Stampede park, stampede is in 2 weeks

This saddledome where my beloved flames play is destroyed in the lower level, water is at least to row 10, dressing rooms are done, equipment room is done. 
As bad as it is in these pics that is nothing to the devastation 30 minutes south of calgary where there was a flash flood, all this came in a matter of hours. Unbelievable. While it may go down enough before we get there the zoo is closed, the park for fireworks is under water so just would be pointless to go if we can't do anything so.......

Cue to the title of this post. We are now going to minneapolis, MN to celebrate independence day, i know a lot of americans are ignorant about canadians and our culture (notice i said most, not all) but canadians are very aware of the USA and your culture, we were taught it in school.

We are leaving on our anniversary, sucks to be travelling that day but i did not want to go for only 3 days, that is too short and we are coming back on the friday so that if G is able to return to work for his boss on the saturday he will so that he owes less days, otherwise i would have went the 2nd till the 7th to experience both fireworks.

I have a plan for the zoo, and 2 days at MOA but may not need 2, if not may go downtown Minneapolis just to walk around. The 4th day is July 4th which i am so excited to see the town we are staying in has the 2nd biggest parade (chicago has biggest) in the USA. I have not seen a parade in years. We do not have our parade here anymore in the summer, just christmas and we would have left calgary before they have the stampede one.

I am then thinking of the waterpark for the afternoon then over to the park where they have the fireworks. I am hoping to use public transit for that, looks like we should have no problem and our hotel has a shuttle to MOA and to the zoo. The less we have to drive the better. It is nice to have the car but still.

I wish i knew people in Apple valley or Minneapolis, would be nice to go out for an evening too.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about the job sitch..even though you didn't like it, it was still steady income. Hopefully something better is just around the corner.

    Bummer about your plans, but going to Minnesota sounds great. I didn't know they had the second biggest celebration. That's cool. How long of a drive will tat be for you?

    I obviously don't watch the news, unless it wasn't covered down here, but i didn't realize that all of that devastation happened in Calgary. That sucks. Is there a body of water nearby that contributed to the flood, or just a lot of rain over a short amount of time?? mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. that it was, i did my job well but i had a head ache each and every day that i would go home with from all the bull crap.

    Ya i found that out by an online travel site. It is 8 hours but then you have border time plus all my bathroom stops.

    It was in calgary and high river, high river had a flash flood. There are 2 rivers that caused this due to the amount of rainfall in a short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh I've been in that position and it SUCKS. But remember, it just means that there's something better for you out there.

    And I really think you're going to love Minnesota. I wish I had time off, I'd love to meet up. Unfortunately I've offered to work my little behind off that entire week. The money will be good but I'll want to cry at the end.

    Anyway, I except to see pics of your journey!

    ReplyDelete