Friday, November 7, 2014

Some of the Details

*i changed the layout, how do you like? I found the other way hard to read, words were too small*

So the next step was calling his boss and giving him the news that he was leaving. That was a hard thing because he had been there for 5 years. His boss was going on a hunting trip that was already paid for so he was not going to screw him over. That means he had to wait 3 weeks before he could start his new job. We did not fully think it out (should have added 1 more day to get settled) and told them he would be there October 8th as we did not want to make him start too late and lose the chance. His last day of work was the 5th and it was a 21.5 hour drive not including stops. That meant less than 12 hours to settle in.

I took off work the weekend that was his last weekend so i could go with him to spend the last day together. We were going to have lunch with his parents and got lucky, his grandma showed up (not knowing we would be there) so we got to see her too. His boss came back on the Saturday, not the Sunday like we thought so he asked if he could get Sunday off so he could leave early. I didn't really want to lose time with him but i wanted him to have a bit of time to settle.

I was not going to go with him as i had to work but Sunday morning i was getting everything ready when i had this overwhelming feeling that i needed to go with him. I called my boss, no answer, called his son, no answer. I left a message for both of them saying i had a family crisis (since was not emergency) and i needed to take 3 days off but would forward the phones at work and put a note on the door. I have been there for almost a year and haven't so much as taken 1 sick day or anything. The son called me back just as we were jumping in the truck and told me that was fine. I am the only employee at this location and i always show up, and even work outside of work hours if a client needs me or an alarm goes off. I asked a friend if she would pick me up from the airport and my brother to babysit the dog. I also asked my boss at my second job if i could come in 1/2 later than normal (the time we open up, so the other girl still would not be left alone). It all fell into place, just like when he got the courses he needed to go to the oil field.

We left at about 1 pm, needed to be at the hotel in Saskatchewan 9 hours away by 11 pm. He broke down saying goodbye to the dog, that was heart breaking to watch. He told him that he better be here when he gets back (busy street, cars speed all the time). We got 30 km down the road and he realized he forgot his helmets for the quad. They are $120 a piece, could not forget them and just buy more so we had to turn around. In the states you do not need helmets for motorcycles and ATV's (which i could not get over when we were on the freeways lol) but in Canada they are mandatory and we would not do major riding without them anyways. That set the trip off on a not so great start, it put as an hour behind. He was worried about making it to the hotel on time.

I didn't tell my mom i was coming with him, but she is extremely nosy and persistent. She was wanting to call me, but i told her i was not home, that i was with a friend. She asked me how i was, how he was, where he was etc and then she insisted on calling me. When she called she told me to stop bsing and tell her what was going on. I kept the pretenses for a while but she would not let me change the subject and kept pushing so i told her. She had kind of guessed anyways. I told her not to say anything to her partner but she didn't listen, she said mom trumps all (the biggest part about her that pisses me off), i wanted to surprise someone.


Down the road he had said maybe he would just drive all night so we could get there earlier. I didn't think that was a smart idea. We were pulling the quad on the trailer, rising in elevation the whole way (over 4k feet in the end) so lots of hills and curves, therefore i was not driving the truck with that terrain. Saskatchewan does not change time so i thought they would have the same time as us (they do, but in the winter, summer they are on mountain time which is AB time). Luckily the time went back an hour.

We saw 3 deer in the dark, one we didn't see till we came close to hitting the ass (when he wrote his car off it was hitting a deer around a curve). The 2nd one freaked us out because all a sudden we saw a car from the other lane go across our lane and into the ditch and through the field. G was like WTF, why did that car go through the field. We did not have a lot of time to process it. He looked to the left and he said he thought he saw a deer twitching and there was debris in our lane. It was not safe for us to stop (and there was a lot of water in the ditch) so we had to keep going, they appeared to have a phone from what we could see (the driver was out of the car very fast).

After that encounter i was working on convincing him to stop for the night. It just didn't feel safe. He figured we would have more time to spend with my mom but i knew we would be so tired that we would sleep and not enjoy it. After we saw another deer he was convinced. With the time change it would get us to the hotel just in time before they closed. We were limited because G did not trust the quad on the trailer being left for the night so wanted it backed up against something which meant a motel that had the doors on the outside. My mom told us to go where she usually stays.

we made it there with about 20 minutes to go before they closed at 11. We drove 9 hours that day and had another 12.5 hours to go. I planned to get up at like 5 am so that we could get to my mom's for supper. We had a snack at 3 pm the first day so we had not stopped for supper. We checked in and went to the pizza hut next door with 5 minutes to spare before they closed. I love pizza hut and ours closed down so i will hit it up any time i can.

When we were eating my husband said he felt sick and could not eat. That bothered me because i don't want him hungry. He then burst out bawling. He was nervous, worried, overwhelmed, everything rolled into one. He is not a very emotional person. I have seen him cry before but it takes A LOT and i mean a lot. He doesn't show emotion much at all. He had told me he thought he would be OK to go on his own when i asked if he wanted me to go with (21 hour drive he had never driven before) but this was the moment i fully realized that this was why i was with him, so i could encourage him along. I don't think he would have continued at this point if i wasn't there. In fact i am positive he would have turned around. I comforted him the best i could and we went to bed. It was after midnight (1 am) by this time.

I did not sleep well, as i knew i wouldn't. I didn't have my cpap machine and my nose was badly plugged. I woke up at 4:30 am and could not go back to sleep so we hit the road before 5. It was still dark so i was worried about deer till about 7 ish then it started getting light out. We stopped about 6 to get gas and halls at a gas station where we could have walked away without paying. It took a couple minutes for the guy to come out from the back, i actually had to holler. I am not the type to walk out, but i was wondering if he had been robbed and was hurt or something, that is how long it took.

My husband held my hand the whole way, he is quite affectionate but had not been like that for such a long period since the first couple years we were dating. He is usually just a hug from behind while i am making supper, or a quick kiss or what ever. I kept encouraging him, reminding him why we were doing this and how much better off we would be. He is doubling his income at the very least and i get away from the pedophile and the people that support him.

This was really hard for my husband. I haven't lived with my parents since i was 17 and when i left home i went clear across the country to BC for the fun of it so i have been away from home a long time. My husband had only taken one trip in his life before he met me and lived with his parents longer than i did. He was a farm boy who had never done anything or gone anywhere so leaving home at 32 is a big deal. I was not going to minimize his feelings at all and i told him over and over that it was OK and normal to feel the way he was feeling. If i was going with him to stay then it would have been easier, but i want him to get settled first.

That second days drive was long, and even though it was winding hilly roads i found it a bit boring in stretches. It also ended up working in our favor to meet up with a friend of mine in Edmonton for breakfast. The stretch between Edmonton and where we were going (8 hours) was very long though especially between Edmonton and Grande Prairie. There was a time where 2 hours between towns felt like 4 lol.

Once i got to the hill (you can't even grasp how big it is, it is 5 miles long or something, 5 minutes up, 5 minutes down)(with such a steep grade that it is mandatory for every semi to stop and check the slack in their breaks and make sure everything is OK) in the picture i posted last post i was getting excited, that was only 30 minutes or so from my mom's. We got there and took our stuff inside from the truck and put it in the room, then my husband broke down again. He was really overwhelmed.

He was doing a bit better the next day. We got him a new phone (Samsung S5, i want one) and drove around to a few places. He was going to start work in the shop on Wednesday (could not get in for training till the 20th) and i was coming home and going straight to work at my 2nd job. I got up with him in the morning to say good bye and he broke down, told me not to forget him (course not). He also said he wished i was staying the rest of the week but i did not want to take too many days off work. I had booked my flight as soon as we got there so that i knew it was done, before it filled up (especially with such short notice). We used air miles so it only cost $66 to come home now that they put the fuel surcharge in with the miles instead of paying extra cash.

I had my brother stay till i got off work because my dog would be really upset if i came in, put on uniform (jersey, since it is a hockey rink), grab my car keys and just leave him like that. The flight got in at 5:30, we are over an hour from the airport and i had to be at work for 7. I got there with seconds to spare. I got home at 10 pm, after getting up at 6 am BC time (2 hours difference). That was still a really long day.

I will finish catching up to present day (4 weeks ago this was) in another post, as this one is long enough.

6 comments:

  1. One thing I notice with your blog is you always provide 'facts'. Such as this one: "summer they are on mountain time which is AB time" and a lot of the time, your 'facts' are incorrect. Saskatchewan is on central time, daylight savings time NOT observed. So they are never on mountain time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction. I worded it wrong. Just like where my mom lives (they do not change time either) but they are 2 hours different from us in the summer and 1 hour in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...I felt so bad for your husband. From what you've written, he seems kind of quiet and internal, so for him to become emotional like that was very unexpected. Glad you went with your gut and decided to take the trip with him. mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor hubby! It sounds like it was really hard on him. I hope he adjusts quickly. That must have been hard on you too! I really admire your dedication to your employers. Oh and in California we do have helmet laws on motorcycles and even bicycles. Kids under 18 have to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle or they will get a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi mum, he is quiet and internal. My mom even said to me the other day that he doesn't get excited or show emotion. I was like, told ya! LOL.

    I am glad i took that trip with him too, i think i would have worried too much otherwise.

    Ya it was hard on him, i will make a post about things since then soon. He is doing ok.

    We have the kids under 18 as well here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you go? Hope everything is ok?

    ReplyDelete