Monday, February 21, 2011

What is a social

I think i have mentioned parts before but i will kind of break this down the best i can. I think Manitoba and Saskatchewan are the only provinces that have one. I would love to do a social in another province just to introduce them, they are that much fun. The purpose of a social is to raise money to put towards your wedding, especially if you are paying for it yourselves. Our parents are helping in small ways but they can't afford much, and that is ok, i don't expect them to contribute everything. We also aren't going to go in debt for this wedding. I quit smoking the day we got engaged and the money i spent on smoking is now going towards wedding purchases. I have my spare room full of stuff already and it has only been 10.5 weeks.

We are having a halloween social, therefore it will be a costume dress up party. You sell tickets for 10$ a piece that people buy to get in, no ticket, no getting in. You also sell alcohol, which is now 3$ a drink since security is mandatory. We have 500 tickets to sell and i hope to sell at least 400, with support tickets (people that buy but can't make it) i would be happiest selling all 500 of course, because that would cover all expenses of the social and everything else would be profit.

This is how it goes down, your bridal party goes around to local businesses and gets them to contribute prizes for a silent auction (people buy tickets and put them in bags of which prizes they would like to win), you put together prize packs to make them look appealing so that people will buy tickets, you also sell 50-50 tickets. These are the ways to make money on top of drinks and tickets to get in. We are also having prizes for best costume.

Our wedding party girls will have to work the door, accepting tickets, stamping hands, and selling tickets for drinks and the silent auction. Our guys will be working the bar. It is like one big party, we have a dj, food, alcohol, people and dancing. Usually a good time, i rented a hall in a smaller town as to get more people, in my town there is the bar, the lounges, and other parties going on, at least in the small town we will get the town kids lol.

Usually people don't decorate much but being a halloween social i am going to decorate, and it will be mostly diy projects, some members of our wedding party are doing alot to help out, others not so much. My wedding co ordinator will be doing the clean up. The party goes from 8-1. It is still 8 months away but i am still so excited, i am going to put up another countdown for the social but it won't be at the top.

Any questions? i hope this answered what a social is that A few have been asking.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! And it's nice that the wedding party gets all involved. Do you still have a bridal shower and bachelor party before the wedding? mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they will be the week before the wedding so that my mom can participate, she lives 2000 miles away. A social is just something extra on top of all that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don't think I'm creepy for commenting on a post from 2011 but I just found your blog and am getting caught up on it lol. Anyways, I'm Canadian too (currently in Calgary but from Ontario) and we do have the same thing as you in both provinces, but we call them either Jack and Jill's or Stag and Doe's - exact same concept just different name :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I habe heard of that in ontario.

    Funny... I'm on toronto atm visiting my cousin.

    ReplyDelete