I get people do not understand it, it is a Manitoba thing, i thought Sask had them too but they don't. Yes it is a fundraiser, yes people buy tickets, yes people buy drink tickets, yes people buy silent auction tickets, because they WANT TO, not because they have to, not because they are forced to, ONLY because they choose to. They are tons of fun & people look forward to them, there are a few every single weekend.
The wedding party are the hosts (they do NOT pay for it, tickets sales etc pays for it but b & g pay in advance, no out of pocket costs in the end) but they do work the door or bar for 1 hour out of the night, in exchange they get free drinks. People are already buying tickets (5 months out) and telling me how much they are looking forward to it. I am well known for my parties, have not had a bad one yet, i even had a BBQ last year with someone that is now famous across Canada playing in my backyard & crashing at my house for free.
It is a big dance with a DJ, cash bar (tickets) but drinks are only $3, silent auction, prizes for costumes (mine will be a Halloween social), free lunch, free pop/coffee/water all night. Seriously tons of fun, put it this way, i have 500 tickets printed & i know for sure i can sell 300 off the bat so i do not doubt i can sell out all 500.
Now here are the differences between a J & J, next time someone says they are the EXACT same thing i am going to lose it, this time i ignored it. A J & J you sell tickets to only your friends, for a set price they get in the door, food & beer. That is NOT the same as a social where they even sell tickets at the grocery store & gas station, strangers come, people do NOT have to spend $45 or $50 minimum like they do at a J & J, they can spend as much or as little as they want. The CHOICE is all theirs, that is the biggest difference, they have a CHOICE. Security keeps an eye on everything & most of the time it all runs smoothly. Because it is out of town for my side of the family I am even having dd's & vans to take people to & from so that they do not D & D, but most people do not do that, just me.
Every region has different things, and unless i come to an etiquette board asking for advice you can keep your opinions to yourself, especially since the thread had nothing to do with the social, someone asked what one was & i explained it, EOS, that should have been it, i never asked for opinions on it, i just answered a question, next time i won't bother.
I think Money dances are tacky but you do not see me complaining and telling you how rude they are if they are EXPECTED in your circle/area. On the other hand if you wanted a money dance but NO ONE in your circle/area had one that would be different. Socials are expected here so accept that even if you DO NOT agree, the thing is you do not have to agree with anything i do, but you have NO RIGHT to put me down for something you know nothing about.
/end rant
Well OK then, you tell it! lol I had never heard of a social either until you mentioned it, but then again, I don't know anyone who lives in Canada. I figured it was a Canadian thing, just as paying for a dance with the bride and groom seems to be an American thing.
ReplyDeleteHey, if it works for you, then do it! It actually sounds like a good idea to get help paying for the wedding. And for the ppl who talk shit about it, forget them. Some ppl don't handle other's customs well and instead of just saying something like 'oh ok, cool' they have to degrade it for whatever reason.
I did have a question though.. in another post you talked about the bar being a 'toonie bar' or something? What is that exactly? I have never heard the phrase.
You like my attitude? lol i was mad.
ReplyDeleteWe are having a cash bar, our venue has no bar or bartenders, it is a hall so we bring the booze in ourselves, but we are not making it expensive, where i live there is only an open bar if the parents pay for it but we do not have parents that can afford it, cash bars are the norm, but some charge 3-4$ per drink....... we are only charging a toonie which is $2, we are not looking to make any money, just to pay for the alcohol.
I forgot americans do not know what toonies are, loonies are our $1 coin, bills do not start till $5, i do not remember the reason for taking away the $1 & 2 bills.
I learn so much by following your blog! Had never heard of a social before you blogged about it, now I'm learning about a Jack and Jill. Heck, I think it's a fantastic idea. A reason to party, and you're raising money so you don't have to go into debt for your wedding. I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up by people in the States.
ReplyDeleteAnd yeah, we do money dances. It's almost weird if you don't..it's sort of expected.
Take care!
mum
Thanks mum, i am glad i can be of service helping someone out learning wise lol.
ReplyDeleteThat is the same with socials, they are the norm & expected, i have people buying tickets now, in fact a couple just messaged me on fb wanting tickets next week.
I saw that other post, I think I even commented but I didn't want to ruffle the feathers of the people being rude about it because it would have only made things worse.
ReplyDeleteI actually worried when I saw that you posted it on our month board and another one because a social is something people are not familiar with. I enjoyed reading more about it there and on here. I think it's actually pretty cool and is so not a Jack & Jill. You don't invite people, so I don't even understand why people were getting so up in arms about it.
Some people just like to belittle people when they don't understand something. Just forget about them.
I don't worry on our month board, they can't be rude, megan would not allow it lol. Ya totally not the same at all. Just irks me that they have to be rude when they do not understand.
ReplyDelete