One day when we were just kind of existing we were sitting on the couch talking. It was before my surgery and I just looked at him and said "If you won't be happy out west, where do you think we could go". Give me some options because I just can't stay here. It is a shitty town, with a lot of crime, where you have to worry about your house, your car, walking after dark etc. I said, "we have nothing here anymore". My son is grown. My family sucks. His family doesn't bother with him either. It isn't like they dislike him, they just have their own lives and can't be bothered. He went out of the way to go visit one of his brothers he hadn't seen in a while and he didn't even get out of his truck before his brother said I got shit to do, I can't talk to you. He was hurt. His brother has never done that to him before. He may not come around, but he never ever turned him away. I think that is when he realized what I was talking about. Why stay somewhere for people that just can't be bothered?
So then he mentioned a town west of Portage. I have family there. I entertained it briefly but didn't like the housing situation. It was also a large town 50k ppl and further from the city. We go to the city for a lot of things so I didn't want to be further.
I then mentioned going the other direction. He has family out the way we ended up. So we seriously started entertaining the thought. The more we talked about it the more I liked it. I started to get excited about the idea. I started applying for jobs for him (I have always done that, he isn't good at writing the emails) in that area. I would pick all the ads then read them to him, he would tell me which to throw out, which to keep. Well........he finally got a call from one of them. It wasn't in the town we were looking at (which is bigger than portage) but it was close enough.
The day I got out of the hospital we drove out there. It was December. It was SOOOOOOOO pretty. It was evening, so all the lights and decorations stood out. I noticed all the stores that Portage just doesn't have and I felt "cozy". We got back to Portage a few hours later and I was completely exhausted. I had just been through a big ordeal and that was a long time to sit in the car. When we pulled into town I was just like WTF, this place feels so cold. They used to have awesome lighted decorations like that town but haven't had them for years. Instead of lighting up our main drag that everyone sees they light the park which can't be seen from the street. I knew in that moment that the town was virtually dead to me. I lived there for 33 years, but I was done. DONE.
He ended up getting that job, worked it out to stay with an uncle for 2 weeks while we found an apartment. Finding a place that allows a big dog is not easy. I lucked out with one that was not even on my radar because it was too expensive It is in the same town where he got the job. At first he didn't like the job and he was only on day 2 when he said he didn't know if he would catch on. 3 months later, he has caught on and is doing fine. He gets paid good. The paid him the top wage even though HR told him the job was $3 less, based on his experience. He won't stay there, but it needs to be a damn good price before he can move on. He isn't even looking right now, because he can walk to work which is a bonus!!
So this little town, is about half way between the big city and the smaller city that I wanted to move too. It is like a country town which is how he grew up so while he hates living in town he actually doesn't mind it too much here. He hated living in Portage. The house has a HUGE HUGE yard that bear absolutely loves. Generally, we are less stressed. I, however, have been very stressed about not having a full time job and because of where my health is at and what is going on with that. I mean VERY stressed. I hid it well.
TBC in the next post. Please read them all, it is a long story but a good one.
Can't wait to read the next :)
ReplyDelete