I have been in my field for a long time, and have excellent customer service skills. I know my worth. I wasn't having any luck finding a full time job so I got in with a temp agency. I had one of the best interviews in my life for a term position for a matt leave and she told me I impressed her but I didn't get the job. I was very disappointed. I think she maybe felt like I was above entry level. SO anyways, I went to the temp agency because a lot of jobs actually use them. They had a temp job out this way, but it turns out they managed to find someone to work it internally. It was only 4 weeks. 4 weeks as better than nothing though so I was starting to get worried.
Then the municipal job came up. It was only 4 weeks too while they went through the interview process for the position. It was WAYYYY less than I would normally accept because the temp agency decides the wage. I made very little money, but enough to pay my bills so at least I could stay afloat. It was then extended by 2 weeks and I interviewed for the position. I felt like even though I already had a good grasp that because I am not bilingual I wouldn't rate high enough (Government jobs have strict criteria and a rating system). I started to worry. I thought because I already "worked there" it would be a shoe in. The manager really liked me, the other staff and I got along great too and it was a good "fit". However HR from the city goes solely based on score. In that time of discouragement I got an email..........
It was from a construction company in the city. I applied for it back in January. I didn't hear anything in 2 weeks so I thought I just didn't have a good enough resume for them. I thought they were hiring back when they had the ad out but I guess they were just collecting resumes for when construction season started. He had an old resume with my old number so the email just asked me to call him. I had an interview at the dodge dealership so I told him I would call him the next day. That was middle of March, 2 full months since I applied for the job.
I talked to him on the phone, and then set up an interview. I told him I hoped that there were not many qualified candidates because I really want the job. He said they already shortlisted the candidates (yay, not 14 people interviewing like at dodge, or 8 like at the municipality). They let me come at the end of their work day because I had to work during the day. I thought that was awesome. I got there at 4:30. I signed in and noticed that there was 1 other name on that page who had an interview for that day. I was hoping I would be the last interview........it turns out, I was.
I thought the interview at the term job was relaxing and amazing. Well somehow I blew this one out of the water. There was 3 people which had me a wee bit nervous, it is easier to have 1 like you, but 3? One was an owner (there are 4), one was the site supervisor who was the one who sent me the email, he is the direct boss for the position, and one was the lady who does the job for a different division. There are two divisions, highways and municipal (basically in town and out of town). While the jobs are the same, we wouldn't be in the same area. Either way whomever got the job had to mesh well with her as they directly link even though they don't. Confused? I am not, but I know what I am trying to say. LOL.
The interview lasted 1.5 hours. Longest interview of my life. I was relaxed though and even though they had pages of questions it was really informal and just felt more like conversation. It flowed real well. I look great on paper, experience wise though has been limiting because even though I was a manager and did some accounting I do not have a lot of hands on accounting experience even though that is my major interest. I didn't get out of there until 6pm. They told me they would be doing a second round of interviews that would be informal but it was going to be judging aptitude. They wanted to see if the candidates had the potential to do the job. I walked out of their feeling really confident. I called both my mom and husband and said if I didn't get called for a second interview I would be shocked. That was the Tuesday before easter. They said if I didn't get a call by the Tuesday after to call them.
I then left with a great bounce and did something stupid. I went from that end of town to a different mall to pick up my phone, only to get there and realize I took it into a different mall and had to go ALL THE WAY BACK TO WHERE I JUST CAME FROM. I just wasted 45 minutes for nothing, I guess I was scatterbrained. I didn't get home until 9pm. I was exhausted.
TBC again..........sorry, this is a long story. I guess I should blog more eh?
congrats!! omg that is a long interview!!! glad it flowed well.
ReplyDelete